There are lots of articles on a variety of websites that list fun facts about frozen yogurt. So we thought we’d take it a step further and write an article with MORE fun facts about this delicious treat that is loved by so many people worldwide. Why? Because if you’re anything like us, you love learning everything there is to know about frozen yogurt. In fact, we can’t imagine who would NOT want to know as much as possible about it!
Following are a few pieces of information you may not already know about frozen yogurt:
1. People have been consuming plain flavored yogurt for more than 4,000 years. The areas of the world where it became popular were in the Middle East and India, but Americans started to enjoy it in the early 1900s. In the 1930s, Dannon started to package and sell yogurt in containers to the general public. However, it wasn’t until the 1970s when frozen yogurt was introduced. And guess what? It didn’t go over very well because many people did not like the taste!
2. In 1981, a frozen yogurt franchise called, “TCBY” opened its doors in Little Rock, Arkansas. The frozen yogurt sold at TCBY was well received because it was much sweeter than the original variety. TCBY, as well as other frozen yogurt franchises, flourished for many years! By 1984, TCBY had opened 100 stores.
3. People often wonder about the meaning of TCBY. When the franchise first opened, TCBY stood for “This Can’t Be Yogurt.” But eventually TCBY changed the meaning of the acronym to “The Country’s Best Yogurt.”
4. Frozen yogurt is made in a manner very similar to soft serve ice cream. A powdered frozen yogurt mix must be combined with either water or another liquid. Once mixed in a soft serve machine, the substance freezes and can be dispensed into a cup or cone.
5. There are many health benefits associated with frozen yogurt including: 1) it can help boost a person’s immune system, 2) it can help lower a person’s cholesterol, 3) it can help a person’s digestive system, 4) it can help prevent certain types of infections, and 5) it contains healthy elements such as protein, calcium, vitamins, potassium and riboflavin.
6. Because it contains protein, eating frozen yogurt can make you feel more full than you would if you ate other types of snacks or desserts. Therefore, frozen yogurt can help you lose weight!
7. Frozen yogurt comes in many varieties, including low fat, sugar-free, non-dairy, vegan, vegetarian, low-calorie, kosher and gluten free!
Now that you’ve read this article, do you feel like you know a bit more about frozen yogurt than you did a few minutes ago? Check back soon for more great information about frozen yogurt and the latest news and information about frozen yogurt machines!